Teeth whitening is a popular cosmetic dental procedure that aims to brighten the appearance of your smile. One common concern associated with teeth whitening is the potential for tooth sensitivity.
Tooth sensitivity, also known as dentin hypersensitivity, is a common dental condition characterised by discomfort or pain in response to certain stimuli. These stimuli can include:
- Hot and Cold: Sensitivity to hot or cold foods and beverages is a common symptom. The pain can be sharp and sudden.
- Sweet and Sugary Foods: Consuming sweets or sugary foods can trigger sensitivity in some individuals.
- Acidic Foods and Drinks: Acidic items like citrus fruits, soda, and vinegar can exacerbate tooth sensitivity.
- Brushing and Flossing: Overly vigorous brushing or flossing, using a hard-bristle toothbrush, or using improper brushing techniques can lead to sensitivity.
- Air or Cold Air: Breathing in cold air or exposure to cold wind can cause discomfort for some people.
- Touch or Pressure: Biting down on hard foods or objects can induce sensitivity, as can pressure from dental procedures.
- Gum Recession: Receding gums can expose the tooth roots, which are more sensitive to external stimuli.
- Cracked or Damaged Teeth: Teeth with cracks, fractures, or cavities are more prone to sensitivity.
Teeth Whitening and Sensitivity
Teeth whitening treatments, especially those that use bleaching agents, can cause temporary tooth sensitivity in some individuals. The bleaching agents used in whitening gels or solutions penetrate the enamel to break down stains and discolouration. This process can temporarily increase the permeability of the tooth enamel, making the teeth more susceptible to external stimuli and resulting in sensitivity.
Factors Affecting Sensitivity
Several factors can influence the likelihood and intensity of tooth sensitivity following teeth whitening:
- Concentration of Whitening Agents: Higher concentrations of whitening agents used in professional teeth whitening treatments can increase the risk of tooth sensitivity. Dentists are trained to choose appropriate concentrations based on individual needs to minimize sensitivity.
- Individual Sensitivity: Each person’s tooth sensitivity threshold is unique. Some individuals may be more prone to sensitivity, while others may experience little to no sensitivity during or after teeth whitening.
- Existing Tooth Sensitivity: If you already have sensitive teeth or a history of tooth sensitivity, you may be more susceptible to experiencing sensitivity after teeth whitening.
- Improper Use of Whitening Products: Overusing or misusing teeth whitening products, such as leaving the whitening gel on for longer than recommended or using products not designed for your specific needs, can increase the likelihood of tooth sensitivity.
While tooth sensitivity following teeth whitening is usually temporary, there are steps you can take to minimize or manage the discomfort:
- Use Desensitising Toothpaste: Prior to and after teeth whitening, switch to a desensitising toothpaste formulated for sensitive teeth. These toothpastes contain ingredients that can help alleviate sensitivity over time.
- Avoid Extreme Temperatures: Limit the consumption of extremely hot or cold foods and beverages, as they can trigger sensitivity. Choose lukewarm or room temperature items instead.
- Maintain Good Oral Hygiene: Brush your teeth gently with a soft-bristled toothbrush and use a fluoride toothpaste to help strengthen and protect your enamel. Avoid aggressive brushing, as it can contribute to sensitivity.
- Follow Instructions Carefully: If you are using at-home whitening products, adhere to the instructions provided. Avoid overusing the products or exceeding the recommended application time.
- Consult with Our Dentist: If you experience prolonged or severe tooth sensitivity after teeth whitening, it is advisable to consult with our dentist. We can evaluate your situation and provide appropriate recommendations or adjustments to your whitening routine.
Why Choose Anderson & Broadberry Dental Care for Teeth Whitening?
- Affordable Pricing: Our teeth whitening treatments start from a budget-friendly £300, making a brighter, more dazzling smile accessible to everyone.
- Experienced Dental Professionals: You can trust our team of highly skilled and experienced dental professionals to provide you with safe and effective teeth whitening treatments. We have a proven track record of delivering exceptional results while ensuring your dental health.
- Customised Whitening Plans: No two smiles are alike, and neither should your teeth whitening plan be. We tailor our treatments to your unique needs, ensuring that you achieve the whitening results you desire.
- Advanced Whitening Techniques: We employ cutting-edge and well-established teeth whitening techniques that are known for delivering stunning and lasting results. Rest assured that your smile is in expert hands.
- Comfortable, State-of-the-Art Facilities: Our dental clinic offers a comfortable and modern environment designed to put you at ease during your teeth whitening procedure. Enjoy a relaxed and stress-free experience with us.
- A Commitment to Natural Beauty: We are dedicated to enhancing your smile’s natural beauty, ensuring that your teeth look brilliantly white while maintaining a natural appearance. You’ll leave our clinic with a radiant, authentic smile.
- Convenient Appointment Scheduling: We understand the importance of your time. That’s why we offer flexible appointment scheduling options, making it easy for you to get the teeth whitening treatment you desire when it suits your schedule.
- Patient-Focused Care: At Anderson & Broadberry Dental Care, your satisfaction is our top priority. We focus on providing patient-centric care, addressing your concerns, and ensuring your teeth whitening experience exceeds your expectations.
What Patients Are Saying About Us
How to Find Us in Swallownest
We are conveniently located at 📍46 Worksop Road, Swallownest, Sheffield S26 4WD📍You can access our expert dental services by car or by public transportation with ease. Ample parking is available.
Book an Appointment
Interested in getting teeth whitened in Swallownest, Sheffield? Simply fill in this form. A member from our friendly team will be in touch shortly.