Composite resin fillings provide a more natural-looking solution while offering several other benefits. Let’s explore what composite resin fillings are, their advantages, the procedure for placement, and their long-term durability.
Composite resin fillings, also known as tooth-coloured fillings or white fillings, are a type of dental restoration used to repair teeth that have been damaged by decay or minor fractures. They are called “composite” because they are composed of a mixture of fine glass or quartz particles suspended in a resin matrix, which can be customized to match the colour of the patient’s natural teeth.
The Advantages of Composite Resin Fillings
Here are some key characteristics and features of composite resin fillings:
- Aesthetic Appeal: One of the primary advantages of composite resin fillings is their ability to blend seamlessly with the natural tooth colour. This makes them an ideal choice for visible teeth, as they provide an aesthetically pleasing and discreet restoration.
- Versatility: Composite resin fillings can be used to restore both front and back teeth. They are suitable for repairing small to moderate-sized cavities, chipped or broken teeth, and even filling gaps between teeth (diastemas).
- Conservative Preparation: Unlike traditional amalgam (silver) fillings, composite resin fillings require minimal removal of healthy tooth structure. This conservative preparation helps preserve more of the natural tooth.
- Adhesive Bonding: Composite fillings bond chemically to the tooth structure, which enhances their strength and stability. This adhesive quality allows for a more secure and durable restoration.
- Quick and Efficient Placement: The placement of composite resin fillings can typically be completed in one dental visit. The material is applied in layers, with each layer being cured (hardened) using a special light. This process allows for precise shaping and contouring.
- Reduced Sensitivity: Composite resin fillings can help reduce tooth sensitivity, which can be a common issue with other filling materials, such as amalgam.
- Biocompatibility: Composite resin fillings are considered biocompatible, as they do not contain mercury or other potentially harmful metals found in amalgam fillings.
- Repairable: If a composite resin filling becomes damaged or worn over time, it can be easily repaired or replaced by a dentist without the need for complete replacement.
Durability and Longevity of Composite Resin Fillings
Composite resin fillings are known for their durability, but their lifespan can vary depending on several factors, including oral hygiene practices, dietary habits, and the location of the filling in the mouth. With proper care and regular dental check-ups, composite resin fillings can last for many years.
Maintenance and Care Tips for Composite Resin Fillings
To maintain the longevity and appearance of your composite resin fillings, follow these care tips:
- Practice good oral hygiene by brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing daily.
- Avoid biting or chewing on hard objects, such as ice or pens, as this can damage the filling.
- Limit consumption of stain-causing substances like coffee, tea, and tobacco to prevent discoloration.
- Visit us regularly for check-ups and professional cleanings to detect any issues early on.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Composite Resin Fillings Right for You?
Composite resin fillings are an excellent option for most individuals. They are particularly suitable for those who prioritise aesthetics and prefer a more natural-looking restoration. However, some cases may require alternative treatments, such as inlays, onlays, or crowns, depending on the extent of the damage or decay.
Book an appointment with us to determine if composite resin fillings are the best choice for your specific dental needs and goals.
Are composite resin fillings not as durable as silver amalgam fillings?
While composite resin fillings may not be as resistant to wear and tear as silver amalgam fillings, they offer sufficient durability and strength for most cases. With proper care, they can last for many years.
Are composite resin fillings more prone to staining?
Composite resin fillings can become stained over time, especially if exposed to substances like coffee, tea, or tobacco. However, regular dental cleanings and proper oral hygiene can help minimise staining.
Are composite resin fillings more expensive than silver amalgam fillings?
While composite resin fillings may have a slightly higher upfront cost compared to silver amalgam fillings, they offer superior aesthetics and a metal-free alternative. The long-term benefits and natural appearance they provide often outweigh the cost difference for many individuals.
Why Choose Anderson & Broadberry Dental Care for Fillings?
- Affordable Pricing: Our amalgam fillings start from just £102, and composite fillings start from £132, providing cost-effective options for dental restorations.
- Experienced Dentists: Our experienced dental professionals are skilled in performing both amalgam and composite fillings, ensuring excellent results.
- Material Options: We offer a choice between amalgam (silver) and composite (tooth-coloured) fillings, allowing you to select the option that best suits your needs and preferences.
- Personalised Treatment: We provide personalised treatment plans tailored to the specific needs of each patient, ensuring optimal dental care.
- Modern Techniques: We use the latest dental techniques and technology to perform fillings, ensuring precision, comfort, and efficiency.
- Comfortable Environment: Our dental clinic offers a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere, making your dental visit as stress-free as possible.
- Patient-Centred Care: Your satisfaction and well-being are our top priorities. We focus on delivering patient-centred care that exceeds expectations.
- Comprehensive Dental Services: In addition to fillings, we offer a wide range of dental services to address all your oral health needs under one roof.
- Preventive Approach: We emphasise preventive dentistry to help you maintain good oral health and reduce the need for extensive dental treatments.
- Long-Lasting Solutions: Our dental fillings are designed to be durable and long-lasting, ensuring the restoration of your tooth’s functionality and appearance.
What Patients Are Saying About Us
How to Find Us in Swallownest
We are conveniently located at 📍46 Worksop Road, Swallownest, Sheffield S26 4WD📍You can access our expert dental services by car or by public transportation with ease. Ample parking is available.
Book an Appointment
Need dental fillings in Swallownest, Sheffield? Simply fill in this form. A member from our friendly team will be in touch shortly.