Tooth-coloured fillings have revolutionised dental care by providing a natural and aesthetically pleasing solution for cavities and tooth decay. These fillings, also known as composite fillings, are made from a mixture of plastic and glass materials that closely resemble the colour and texture of natural teeth. While they are commonly used for front teeth due to their cosmetic benefits, tooth-coloured fillings are increasingly being used on back teeth as well. In this article, we will explore the usage of tooth-coloured fillings on back teeth, their advantages, and considerations to keep in mind. So, how is tooth-coloured fillings being used on back teeth?
Using tooth-coloured fillings on back teeth offers several advantages over traditional amalgam fillings. These benefits include:
- Aesthetic Appeal: Unlike silver amalgam fillings, tooth-coloured fillings blend seamlessly with the natural colour of your teeth. This makes them an ideal choice for individuals who value a natural and attractive smile.
- Conservative Approach: Tooth-coloured fillings require minimal tooth structure removal, allowing dentists to preserve as much healthy tooth as possible. This conservative approach helps maintain the integrity and strength of the tooth in the long run.
- Bonding Capabilities: Tooth-coloured fillings bond chemically to the tooth structure, creating a strong and durable seal. This bonding property helps to restore the tooth’s strength and prevent further decay.
- Versatility: Tooth-coloured fillings can be used to address a wide range of dental issues on back teeth, including cavities, chips, cracks, and worn enamel. Dentists can precisely shape and contour the filling material to restore the tooth’s natural form and function.
- Reduced Sensitivity: Tooth-coloured fillings are less likely to cause tooth sensitivity compared to amalgam fillings. This is particularly beneficial for individuals who experience discomfort or sensitivity when consuming hot or cold food and drinks.
- Mercury-Free: Amalgam fillings contain mercury, which has raised concerns over its potential health risks. Tooth-coloured fillings, on the other hand, are free from mercury, offering a safer alternative for dental restorations.
Factors to Consider
While tooth-coloured fillings on back teeth have numerous advantages, there are a few factors to consider before opting for this treatment option. These factors include:
- Size of the Cavity: Tooth-coloured fillings are best suited for small to medium-sized cavities. In cases of larger or more extensive cavities, alternative restorative options may be recommended.
- Bite Pressure: Back teeth endure more chewing forces compared to front teeth. Dentists evaluate the bite pressure and location of the cavity to determine if tooth-coloured fillings are a suitable choice. In some cases, other restorative materials such as porcelain or gold may be more appropriate.
- Cost: Tooth-coloured fillings tend to be more expensive than amalgam fillings due to the materials used and the specialised techniques involved. It is essential to discuss the cost implications with your dentist and consider your budget when making a decision.
- Staining Potential: While tooth-coloured fillings are highly resistant to staining, they may discolour over time, especially if exposed to substances like coffee, tea, or tobacco. Regular dental hygiene practices and avoiding excessive consumption of staining agents can help maintain the appearance of the fillings.
Why Choose Anderson & Broadberry Dental Care for Fillings?
- Affordable Pricing: Our amalgam fillings start from just £102, and composite fillings start from £132, providing cost-effective options for dental restorations.
- Experienced Dentists: Our experienced dental professionals are skilled in performing both amalgam and composite fillings, ensuring excellent results.
- Material Options: We offer a choice between amalgam (silver) and composite (tooth-coloured) fillings, allowing you to select the option that best suits your needs and preferences.
- Personalised Treatment: We provide personalised treatment plans tailored to the specific needs of each patient, ensuring optimal dental care.
- Modern Techniques: We use the latest dental techniques and technology to perform fillings, ensuring precision, comfort, and efficiency.
- Comfortable Environment: Our dental clinic offers a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere, making your dental visit as stress-free as possible.
- Patient-Centred Care: Your satisfaction and well-being are our top priorities. We focus on delivering patient-centred care that exceeds expectations.
- Comprehensive Dental Services: In addition to fillings, we offer a wide range of dental services to address all your oral health needs under one roof.
- Preventive Approach: We emphasise preventive dentistry to help you maintain good oral health and reduce the need for extensive dental treatments.
- Long-Lasting Solutions: Our dental fillings are designed to be durable and long-lasting, ensuring the restoration of your tooth’s functionality and appearance.
What Patients Are Saying About Us
How to Find Us in Swallownest
We are conveniently located at 📍46 Worksop Road, Swallownest, Sheffield S26 4WD📍You can access our expert dental services by car or by public transportation with ease. Ample parking is available.
Book an Appointment
Need dental fillings in Swallownest, Sheffield? Simply fill in this form. A member from our friendly team will be in touch shortly.